The Ultimate Roasted Pumpkin Soup Recipe October 22, 2020
Here’s a pumpkin soup recipe to make other soups jealous.
Beautifully bright, packed full of delicious flavour, and topped with fresh pesto, coconut cream and toasted pumpkin seeds, our pumpkin soup will knock you for six. Oh, and did we mention that it was served in a mini roasted pumpkin? This is the showstopper of all soups. And it couldn’t be easier.
When roasted, pumpkin has a wonderful velvety texture in a soup, making it a go to when you’re craving something warm and comforting. Whilst serving the soup in roasted pumpkins is bound to impress your guests, you can skip this part and serve it in bowls with a thick slice of crusty bread.
- Seeds: Toasted seeds give a deliciously crunchy texture to a silky soup. Don’t waste the pumpkin seeds! They are the star of the show in this soup recipe.
- Chopped Nuts: Almonds, hazelnuts, pistachios…We could go on!
- Chili: Fresh or crushed, every soup benefits from a little bit of a kick.
- Cream, Yoghurt, Coconut Milk: Adding a little creaminess goes a long way. Trust us.
- Fresh Pesto: Salty, herby and a little bit nutty, pesto is the dream flavour combination for this pumpkin soup.
The Ultimate Roasted Pumpkin Soup
- 1 large pumpkin cut half and seeds removed and reserved (plus 4 small ones for the pumpkin bowls)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 small shallots chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme chopped
- 1l chicken stock
- 200ml coconut milk + 200ml water
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper or more or less to your liking
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- pinch of crushed chili flakes
- Fresh pesto to serve
Fried Pumpkin Seeds:
- 1 tablespoon coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C.
- Cut your pumpkin in half or into fourths and reserve the pumpkin seeds for later. Place the pumpkin on a baking sheet and rub the pumpkin with 1 tablespoon olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast both the pumpkin for 45 minutes, or until the pumpkin is tender Remove from the oven and allow to cool five minutes.
- Put the roasted pumpkin into a food processor and puree with 200ml of the chicken stock, puree until completely smooth.
- Heat a large pot over medium heat and add the butter and shallots. Saute the the shallots until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the thyme and cook another 30 seconds. Add the pumpkin puree, remaining chicken, coconut milk, water, cayenne, nutmeg, maple syrup and crushed red chillies. Bring the soup to a low simmer and simmer 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, fry the pumpkin seeds. Add the reserved pumpkin seeds to a bowl and toss with 1 tablespoon coconut milk and 1 tablespoon flour. In a small bowl combine the chipotle chili powder, pepper and brown sugar. Place a skillet on the stove top and set to medium heat, add the olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add the pumpkin seeds into the pan, but be careful! Stir the pumpkin seeds around in the skillet with a spoon or spatula continuously until they expand and start to brown. Once the seeds are browned remove from the skillet and place on a paper towel to drain. Toss with the chili powder and a good pinch of salt. Taste and season accordingly.
- To assemble the soup, ladle the soup into bowls (or your roasted pumpkins) and top each bowl with a dollop of fresh pesto, a sprinkle of pumpkin seeds and if desired drizzle with coconut milk.
- To make the roasted pumpkin soup bowls. Remove the tops of the pumpkin and scoop out the seeds. Rub the insides of the pumpkins with olive oil, salt and pepper. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 20-30 minutes or just until soft to touch but not falling in.