The Steaks Are High: The Best Date Night RecipeSeptember 18, 2017
Looking for that perfect date night recipe? This is the one.
You know what they say…Those who cook together, stay together.
Let’s paint a scene. You’ve been on a few dates, and you’re dying to impress them. You’ve eaten out, you’ve been for a walk in the park, and now you’re looking for something different. You’re thinking about inviting them to yours to cook for them, after all they could meet your puppy and the record player you keep talking about, but you’re a little unsure about your cooking skills…
The fact is, when cooking at home you avoid all the trials and tribulations that eating out throws at you – queuing, an expensive bill, loud music, and lighting so dark that you can’t read the menu. We’ve teamed up with the dating experts at Match to show you that in the comfort of your own home, you are at your most relaxed, giving you the best chance to show off your inner-chef and the real you.
Fears of burned pasta or raw chicken might be enough to scare any aspiring chefs out of the kitchen, but armed with our favourite fool-proof steak recipe, you’re bound to impress and set the bar high for future dates to follow.
Remember, the way to many peoples’ hearts is through their stomach…
Sirloin Steak with Lyonnaise Potatoes and Peppercorn Sauce
- 2 Sirloin Steak
- 1 pack New Potatoes, halved
- 1/2 bunch Thyme
- 2 Red Onion, sliced
- Garlic Clove, grated
- 15g Netherend Unsalted Butter
- 1 Echalion Shallot, sliced
- 1 bunch Flat Leaf Parsley, chopped
- 3/8 tbsp Black Peppercorns, crushed
- 1 tsbp White Wine Vinegar
- 1/2 Chicken Stock Pot
- 100ml Water for the Sauce
- 1 small pot Crème Fraiche
- 1 small bag Baby Spinach
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees and get the steaks out of the fridge. Chop the new potatoes into 2cm chunks (no need to peel), pop onto a baking tray. Pick the thyme leaves from their stalks, discard the stalks. Sprinkle half the thyme leaves onto the potatoes along with drizzle of oil and a pinch of salt. Turn them to make sure they are evenly coated, then roast in the oven until golden, 25-30 mins. Turn halfway through.
- Halve, peel and thinly slice the red onions into half moons. Melt the butter in a medium sized saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions with a pinch of salt, stir and cook until golden and soft, 15-20 mins. Stir every now and then to make sure they are not burning. When soft, transfer to a bowl. Keep the pan we will use it later.
- Meanwhile, halve, peel and thinly slice the shallot. Peel and grate the garlic (or use a garlic press). Roughly chop the flat leaf parsley. Crush the peppercorns in a freezer bag with the bottom of a saucepan. Season the steaks with a pinch of salt and black pepper. Do any washing up that needs doing.
- Heat a splash of oil in a frying pan over high heat. Once hot, lay in the steaks. Cook until browned, 2 mins on each side. Lower the heat slightly and cook for 2 mins more on each side for medium rare. Cook for 2 mins more on each side if you like it medium. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil. Leave to rest for a few mins. Then wash your pan and return it to medium heat with a splash of oil.
- Add the shallot and cook until soft, 5 mins, stir frequently. Add the peppercorns, leftover thyme, white wine vinegar and half the garlic. Evaporate the vinegar, then stir in the chicken stock pot and water (specified in the ingredients list). Boil until reduced by half, 3 mins. Stir in the creme fraiche, remove from the heat. Spread the cooked onions on top of the potatoes. Return to the oven for 5 mins to warm through.
- Heat a splash of oil in your onion pan over medium heat. Add the garlic, cook for a minute, then stir-fry the spinach until wilted, 3-4 mins. Add any resting juices from the steaks to the sauce and warm until piping hot. Stir the parsley into the sauce too. Share the potatoes between your plates, place the spinach alongside. Slice each steak into six slices and sit on top of the spinach. Spoon the sauce over the steak, enjoy!
Share your favourite date night recipes in the comments below!
[button content=”More Recipe Inspiration” color=”yellow” text=”black” url=”https://www.hellofresh.co.uk/recipe-archive/browse” openin=”_self”]