What’s In Our Sri Lankan Curry Powder? June 8, 2017
Did you know that there are a grand total of seven ingredients in the Sri Lankan Curry Powder used in your HelloFresh recipes? As curry powders go, that’s standard!
The word curry is thrown about by English speakers to describe dishes ranging from Pakistan to Thailand. In reality, however, the only thing that these curries have in common is that they have a sauce with spices in.
The key to cooking authentic curries from North India, South India, Sri Lanka or even Thailand, is knowing the spices that are used at the base of their cooking. Every curry has their own spice palette and are sometimes far more complex than you’d imagine!
So what’s in our Sri Lankan Curry Powder?
The Sri Lankan curry powder you’ll find in your HelloFresh box comes from the Seasoned Pioneers and boy is it a powerful combination of flavours. Just feast your eyes on all the traditional Sri Lankan spices they’ve squeezed in:
- Coriander Seeds
- Fenugreek Seeds
- Cumin Seeds
- Fennel Seeds
- Cayenne Chillies
Sri Lankan Twists to Classic Dishes:
Here are some sneaky little ways to add some Sri Lankan flavour to your dinners when you add a pinch of the good stuff here and there.
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees.
- Pour the yoghurt into a bowl and spoon in the spice.
- Stir it together thoroughly and roll your chicken breasts in it.
- Roast in the oven for 40 minutes & serve with salad or veggies.
Pan-Fried Sri Lankan Veggie Dish
100g vegetables of your choice
2 tsp Sri Lankan spice blend
salt and pepper
- Add oil to a frying pan on medium high heat
- Add in the onions and the spice, and fry
- Add in the vegetables and lower the heat slightly cook for 10 – 15 minutes until tender
- Season with salt and pepper
- Enjoy as a side dish.
For more Sri Lankan cooking tips and island adventures from Patrick, just check out our Sri Lanka page.