Chef Brain: Episode 5 Vegan vs. Vegan Recipes January 18, 2018
To celebrate Veganuary, this week’s episode of Chef Brain celebrates all things – you guessed it – vegan!
This week our Head Chef Patrick Drake went head-to-head with Nicola Stransky, his old foe from our very first episode, to see who could create the most inventive vegan recipe with five mystery ingredients. One of these ingredients was tempeh, a traditional soy product originating from Indonesia and a hugely popular vegan staple. Never heard of it before? Neither had Patrick! Just wait until you hear what the judges thought of his final dish!
Cooking against the clock, the two chefs developed recipes that can easily be made at home in under 30 minutes—the standard amount of time it takes to make one of the meals from a HelloFresh box. Fresh, light and packed with good-for-you ingredients, these recipes might be some of the best ones we’ve seen on Chef Brain yet!
- Roast the nuts and cherry tomatoes in the oven, keeping them separate.
- Start melting the dark chocolate over a bain marie.
- Heat coconut oil in a pan and fry the tempeh until crispy.
- Roughly chop the kale and cut up the pear.
- Make your dressing. Put tahini in a bowl and mix with a little water and some kimchi juice
- When the nuts are slightly browned (5-10 mins) remove nuts from the oven and chop roughly
- Pour the melted chocolate onto greaseproof paper and add sprinkle the chopped nuts over. Place in the fridge and leave to cool until hard.
- Plate up the salad: kale, pear, tempeh, tahini, kimchi, nuts
- Break up the chocolate for dessert.
Patrick’s Kale, Tempeh, and Pear Salad with a Miso Sesame Dressing
Kale, a big handful
Mixed Nuts, a handful
2 tsp White miso paste
2 tsps Mayonnaise
60ml Rice Vinegar
1 tsp Molasses
2 tsp Mayonnaise
2 tsp Sesame Oil
- First off slice the tempeh and cook in olive oil on medium-low heat until crispy.
- To make the dressing. Mix 2 tsps white miso, 2 tsps sesame oil, 60ml rice wine vinegar, 1 tsp molasses, 2 tsps mayo and a pinch of salt. Shake in a jam jar.
- Place all of the kale leaves (once you’ve separated them from the stalks) into a bag and roll it using a rolling pin to soften it. Place the kale in a bowl of water to rinse it and then dry out on kitchen towel.
- Slice the pear micro thin lengthways.
- Toss the kale with the pear, the tempeh and the dressing. Top with the nuts and use a zester to grate over a bit of chocolate