A Pancake recipe with turmeric & honey skyr July 9, 2015
So, it’s another post from our series that’s weird. But when I say it’s weird, what I really mean is – wooo, let’s celebrate new, delicious flavours. One of the great things about working at HelloFresh, is that on random days you may get an email from the recipe team saying “hi guys, we have some food if you want to take it home…” and of course everyone rushes to the kitchen to get first dibs! This week, we had lots of lovely stuff.. and weirdly I was the only one who seemed to want the edible flowers. Beautiful!
Pansies, Aster and Nasturtiums – such a lovely mix of colours. So, I thought I would make some pancakes for breakfast this morning with my ultimate pancake recipe. But obviously edible flowers aren’t out there enough, so I made a tumeric and honey skyr to put on top and added some redcurrants to the mix.
Not heard of skyr? Cultivated in Icelandic dairy farms, apparently Skyr was brought from Norway to Iceland over 1000 years ago and now the rest of Scandinavia has pretty much forgotten about the stuff. It’s a pretty medieval type of yoghurt … I felt a bit naughty adding tumeric to it… not sure if the Elders would have been pleased. If you manage to find Skyr in your supermarket and you have leftovers from this recipe, you can use it for a traditional Icelandic dish called hræringur ( which is translated as stirred made by stirring) it’ s half skyr and half porridge. It’s quite the versatile dish – eat it with fruit or jam for dessert OR with fish for dinner – I added some horseradish too.
When people think of turmeric, they often think of indian curry, of lentil dhals and yellow curry sauces. But I like turmeric with honey too… and tangy yoghurts.
- Separate your egg white and yolk
- Mix the yolks with the milk, flour, sugar and baking powder until thoroughly mixed
- In a separate bowl, beat your egg whites with your salt until fluffy and slightly stiff
- Add this mixture to the batter and fold in
- Add the butter to a pan on medium heat
- Ladel in some batter, flip once one side is slightly golden
- Remove from pan once the other side is slightly golden
- Stack 'em
- In a bowl, mix your turmeric, honey and skyr
- Spoon on top of your stack and decorate with berries, flowers and icing sugar
N.B: Never, ever underestimate the power of separating a yolk from the whites. Egg whites, all whipped up and a tiny bit stiff are the best way to get smooth fluffy pancakes. Egg whites and baking powder.
Relish the weirdness!