Vita Coco Vegan Chocolate Brownies September 8, 2017
Whether you’re full-blown ‘Vegan and Proud’ or simply fancy cutting back your dairy intake, it isn’t always easy to find vegan sweet treats that still hit the spot. That’s why we’ve teamed up with Vita Coco to bring you the most melt-in-your-mouth, ooey-gooey delicious vegan chocolate brownies out there.
Vita Coco Coconut Oil is the perfect alternative to butter when whipping up vegan bakes due to its slightly sweeter taste than other oils. Combined with Vita Coco Coconut Milk Alternative instead of normal milk, it’s the perfect way to enjoy brownies that taste just as good as the real thing…
And not only are these brownies 100% vegan, they can also be whipped up in under half an hour. Just think, in less than 30 minutes you could be slipping into a dream world of melted vegan chocolatey goodness.
But hang on, before we lose you to that daydream. Here’s our simple recipe for the tastiest vegan chocolate brownies in the world. If we do say so ourselves…
- 5 tbsp Vita Coco Coconut Oil
- 200g vegan dark chocolate
- 170g self raising flour
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- 180g golden caster sugar
- 220ml Vita Coco Coconut Milk
- Pinch of sea salt
- Handful of hazelnuts (or nuts of your choice - this recipe also works well with pecans or roughly chopped brazil nuts)
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees fan (180 conventional oven).
- Grease a square baking tin with some coconut oil and then line with baking paper
- Prepare a ban-marie (this is just a fancy way of saying 'melt the chocolate over a pot of hot water...)
- Break up the dark chocolate and add ⅔ of it into the ban marie bowl. Set aside and cool for 5 mins before using. (Save the broken up last ⅓ for later).
- In a large mixing bowl, add the flour and cocoa powder, sugar and a pinch of sea salt. Mix.
- Halve the vanilla pod and scrape out the seeds and add to the bowl along with the coconut oil, coconut milk and melted chocolate, mix well to combine.
- Mix in half the hazelnuts and the leftover chocolate chunks, then pour the brownie mix into your prepared tin, and be sure to spread the mix out evenly.
- Sprinkle over the remaining hazelnuts and place on the middle shelf of your oven, and bake for 20-25 mins. This will leave you with a gooey centre - which we love - but if you prefer a firmer brownie, leave in the oven for another 5-10 mins.
Some of you will be lucky enough to be getting a Vita Coco Coconut Oil sample in your boxes next week. So now there’s no excuse not to make these brownies… And if you do, why not share using #hellofreshsnaps? Well, that’s if you don’t eat them all before you manage to take a photo…