6 Showstopping Canapés To Serve This Christmas December 2, 2019
Simple showstoppers to wow your guests this Christmas…
With everything you need to cook a delicious Christmas feast wrapped up in our Christmas Box, kick off the festive season with these delicious canapes.
Canapes and nibbles play an important part in throwing a party, but shouldn’t require lots of time spent slaving away in the kitchen. Keep your guests happy with these six show-stopping canapes that are as easy to assemble as they are to gobble up…We’ll raise a glass to that!
Beetroot and Mushroom Blinis
Perfect for your veggie guests, these beetroot and mushroom blinis really do taste as good as they look…
- In a bowl, whisk together all the blini ingredients until smooth. Leave in a warm place for 30 mins until frothy. Heat a large frying pan over a medium heat, brush with the melted butter and drop teaspoonfuls of batter into the pan, spacing 5cm apart, and cook for about 1 1/2 mins, before turning and cooking for another minute. Cook in batches until the batter has been used.
- In a food processor, whizz beetroot, creme fraiche and ricotta until coarse. Season well, stir in the chopped dill and chill until required.
- Melt butter in a large frying pan, add mushrooms and garlic and fry until deep golden.
- To serve, put the blinis on a platter, spread with a teaspoonful of beetroot mix, add a few mushrooms and garnish with a small sprig of dill.
150g pre-cooked beetroot
3tbsp creme fraiche
Small bunch dill, half roughly chopped
250g button mushrooms, sliced
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 pack pre-cooked blinis
Cranberry and Brie Bites:
Simplicity wins with these delicious French-inspired bites.
- Preheat oven to Gas 6, 200°C, fan 180ºC and line a baking tray with nonstick baking paper.
- Roll puff pastry on a lightly floured surface and cut into squares about 2.5cm. Bake for 10 minutes until golden and risen.
- Top each square with a small slice of Camembert and a spoonful of cranberry sauce. Return to the oven until the cheese melts.
- Garnish with thyme
250g (8oz) puff pastry
125g (4oz) Camembert, sliced and cut into 16 squares
soft thyme leaves to serve
Cucumber and Feta Rolls
Ready in ten minutes, these delicious bites are bound to be a hit with veggie and non-veggie guests alike!
- Using a peeler, peel a whole cucumber into long thin strips. Once you get close to the centre, turn it over and start again. Cut each strip in half. Save the core to use in a salad.
- Take 100g (3 1/2oz) feta and crumble all but 1 tbsp of it into a bowl. Add 100g (3 1/2oz) finely chopped sundried tomatoes. Combine thoroughly with a spoon.
- Press a small piece (around 1 tsp) of the feta and tomato mix onto a piece of cucumber and roll it up tightly. Arrange on a serving dish. Continue until you have finished all of the strips. You should have enough for about 30 rolls.Crumble over the remaining feta for a garnish and drizzle over a little of the sundried tomato oil
100g Sun-dried tomatoes
Smoked Salmon on Rye
You can’t go wrong with this classic canape…
- Mix the cream cheese, crème fraîche, chopped dill, lemon juice and half the zest, then add freshly milled black pepper.
- Place the crisp breads on serving trays. Scoop some cream cheese filling and place on top of each of the crisp breads, using a fork to make the swirls.
- Cut the smoked salmon slices into ribbons, then roll and twist, and place on top of the crisp breads.
- Top with individual sprigs of dill. Garnish with a couple of strands of the lemon zest.
Rye crisp bread
1 tub of cream cheese
2 tbsp crème fraîche
2 large unwaxed lemons (juice and zest of 1.5)
1 large bunch of dill, part chopped finely, part sprigs reserved
Freshly milled black pepper
Chocolate Dipped Clementines
End on a sweet note with these deliciously festive chocolate dipped clementine slices. Sprinkling them with a pinch of sea salt is a real game changer!
1. Line a baking sheet with parchment or wax paper and set aside. Peel the mandarin oranges.
2. In a microwave-proof bowl (or using a bain marie), melt the chocolate.
3. Dip each slice halfway into the melted chocolate and place on prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and repeat until all slices are evenly coated and sprinkled with salt. Refrigerate for 10 minutes or until chocolate has hardened. Enjoy!
5 clementine oranges
60 g Dark Chocolate
sea salt or coarse salt