Pssst, Our April Fools Cupcakes March 31, 2016
At the Fresh Farm, we’re not ones to shy away from a prank or two when absolutely necessary. So, April Fools is a day that we revel in. I did a round of the office to get our teams’ best cheeky little tricks and this one definitely came out on top. We made them, and despite the concept of meat and potato cupcakes being pretty unappealing, they didn’t taste all bad! But… people who didn’t know where a bit shocked and there was a mix of horror, confusion, anger and sadness and unwitting volunteers bit into what we claimed were “The World’s best Cupcakes”.
Fancy fooling your colleagues? Give this recipe a go!
- Heat the oven to 180 degrees C. Add the milk, molasses, cocoa, chilli and bbq sauce to a pan.
- Cook on medium heat and stir until the cocoa has dissolved. Allow to cool.
- Fry the onions in the tablespoon of vegetable oil until they start to turn a bit golden (5 mins).
- In a separate bowl, mix the salt, pepper, and bread crumbs. Then add the beef, egg, bbq sauce mixture, and onion. Use a wooden spoon to mix thoroughly
- Add cupcake cases to a muffin tray and spoon the meat mixture to fill each. Bake this for about 40 minutes. Allow to cool
- Now for the icing! Boil the potatoes in a saucepan until a knife goes through them easily.
- Puree the beetroot with your milk using a blender and sieve to get rid of small bits of beetroot. Mash the potatoes with the beetroot mixture and some butter until smooth.
- Add the potato icing on top of the meat cupcakes.
- Serve and wait for people’s surprised faces!