Showstopper Recipe: LEON’s Warm Chicken Kale Caesar SaladMarch 14, 2017
We’ve teamed up with LEON to bring you some truly awesome recipes. Whether or not you hail the kale, LEON’s Warm Chicken Kale Caesar Salad is a brilliantly healthy and delicious twist on an old-time favourite. When it comes to giving a tried and tested recipe a little twist, the camps are often split, with the mentality of “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” stubbornly swaying the votes!
Yes, we may be genetically wired to believe that our mum’s lasagna is the closest thing to perfection we’ll ever taste, but sometimes the tiniest flavour adjustment can take a meal from good to absolutely knee-slappingly tasty. This recipe does just that. Although it doesn’t use the traditional Caesar dressing, I think the lighter alternative, combined with the salty anchovies, succulent chicken and nutty parmesan is a taste triumph!
LEON’s Warm Chicken Kale Caesar Salad
For the Salad:
- 4 Chicken Thighs
- ½ pack of Kale
- ½ pack of spring greens
- ½ pack of new potatoes
- ¼ bunch of chives, chopped
- 10g Parmesan
For the Mustard Dressing:
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp White Wine Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 2 tsp Dijon Mustard
- ¼ bunch of chives, chopped
- Before you start prepping, preheat your oven to 200 degrees and line a baking tray with foil. In a small bowl, mix together the olive oil, white wine vinegar, honey, Dijon mustard, chives, parmesan, and a pinch of salt and black pepper. Cut the new potatoes into quarters, keeping their skins on (this is where all the flavour and nutrition is!). Lay your potatoes and chicken thighs onto the baking tray and cover generously with half the mustard dressing. Place on the top shelf of your oven for 20-25 mins. Give the tray a good shake halfway through cooking.
- With the chicken and potatoes in the oven, bring a large pot of water to the boil, remove the tough root of the spring greens with your hands, and roughly slice. Throw them into a colander or steamer, place a lid or plate over the top and steam your spring greens over the boiling water for 6 mins or until tender (they will turn a beautiful bright green). Remove the colander from the pot and leave to one side, uncovered. Finely chop the chives and roughly grate the Parmesan – this is the garnish for your salad, so set this to one side.
- When your chicken and potatoes are cooked, remove them (in the foil) to a plate or bowl. Carefully tip any cooking juices into the bowl of mustard dressing.
- Whack your oven up to 220 degrees. Using the same baking tray (which will still be nice and hot from the chicken), lay out the kale and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and black pepper, and bake on the top shelf of your oven for 5 mins or until slightly crispy – keep an eye on it as it can turn really quickly! While this is cooking , shred your cooked chicken by pulling them apart with two forks.
- When the kale is lovely and crispy, we can throw everything together! In a large bowl or on a serving plate, toss your spring greens and new potatoes with ¾ of your mustard dressing. Tip your kale on top followed by your warm shredded chicken. Pour over any remaining dressing and sprinkle with the rest of your chives and parmesan. Serve and enjoy!
[button content=”Click Here for Delicious Recipes” color=”yellow” text=”black” url=”https://www.hellofresh.co.uk/recipe/all/” openin=”_blank”]