How to make homemade steak sauceJanuary 11, 2024
Steak is the perfect choice for dinner celebrations, date nights or leisurely weekends at home. The best way to elevate a hearty steak is with a delicious sauce to accompany it. There are so many delicious options for steak sauce, whether you’re looking for ideas or some inspiration for your next at-home streak night.
If a creamy steak sauce is what you’re craving, look no further than peppercorn.
- Gather ingredients; 2 shallots, beef stock cube, double cream, red wine, brandy and green peppercorns.
- Finely chop the shallots.
- Heat one tablespoon of butter into a large pan and fry off the shallots, alongside 3 tsp of green peppercorns over medium heat, until your shallots have softened.
- Add 3 tablespoons of good quality brandy and cook it until it has fully reduced.
- Once the brandy is reduced, add 100ml of red wine and turn the heat to high, then boil the sauce until it reduces by half.
- Add 200ml of high-quality beef stock and reduce the sauce by two-thirds.
- Once the stock has reduced, stir in 4 tablespoons of double cream and allow the sauce to thicken slightly.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper.
Unlike other sauces for steak, chimichurri is a simple Argentinian herb sauce that involves no cooking and is served cold.
- Gather ingredients; 2 garlic cloves, deseeded green chilli, a handful of coriander and a handful of parsley, 1 small sweet onion, white wine vinegar and a good quality olive oil.
- Place garlic cloves, green chilli, coriander, parsley and onion in a blender or food processor, alongside 2 tablespoons of white wine vinegar, and blitz until all of the ingredients are finely chopped.
- Once this is done, add 5 tablespoons of olive oil and blend again until all of the ingredients are combined.
- Keep the sauce in the fridge until you’re ready to serve.
Creamy and flavoursome, mushroom sauce is a delicious topping for a fillet or sirloin steak.
- Gather ingredients; 6 chestnut mushrooms, olive oil, double cream, wholegrain mustard, garlic clove and brandy.
- Slice up chestnut mushrooms and heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a pan.
- Fry the mushrooms in the pan over high heat until golden brown, then stir in crushed garlic and 2 tablespoons of brandy.
- Cook the mushrooms down until the brandy has almost completely evaporated, then add four tablespoons of double cream, 1 tablespoon of wholegrain mustard and mix until everything is completely combined.
- Reduce the heat down to a simmer and cook for a few more minutes, then season to your liking.
Béarnaise is a creamy French sauce that’s often accompanied with steak.
- Make a reduction by boiling 40ml of white wine vinegar, 10ml of fresh lemon juice, 20g of finely chopped tarragon and 2 finely chopped shallots.
- In a separate bowl, mix 3 egg yolks and add in the reduction. Whisk together over a bain-marie until the sauce begins to thicken.
- Remove from the heat and drizzle in 200g of clarified butter, continuing to whisk until everything is combined.
- Add in a little more finely chopped tarragon and season with salt and pepper to your taste.
Homemade steak sauce recipes
Enhance your new sauce cooking skills with these delicious recipes from HelloFresh.
- Steak and peppercorn sauce with roasted potatoes and green beans
- Fillet Steak and Blue Cheese Sauce with Rosemary Fries and Green Beans
- Teriyaki Pork Steaks with Broccoli, Carrots and Peanuts
- Miso Honey Glazed Sirloin Steak with Sweet Potato Chips and Tomato Salad
- Pepper Crusted Venison Steak and Red Wine Jus
- Steak and chipotle sauce with crispy potatoes and charred sweetcorn hash