How to Cook Minced Beef March 21, 2017
Now, some might say this is a bit of an obvious question, but a lot of people have asked us how to cook minced beef. When you cook minced beef, you’ll get the best flavour if you fry it or as some say “brown it” beforehand. Browning only takes about 5 minutes, but it’ll make you’re dish whether it’s shepherds pie or chilli con carne absolutely irresistible. If you’re cooking mince that you’ve previously had in the freezer, don’t forget to defrost it properly – you can read our guide to defrosting mince.
How do you fry mince?
To get the best flavour from your minced beef, you should brown it slightly before you add it to your recipe. To brown / fry your mince take the following steps:
- Add a dash of oil to a hot pan & add your mince
- Stir to make sure the mince doesn’t stick to the pan and browns evenly
- If too many juices escape, pour the mince into a strainer to remove liquid and then add just the mince back into the pan until it’s browned on the outside.
- You can use the juices in your sauce as a stock, to add flavour.
Now, you can add your mince to whatever recipe you’d like.
How do you make mince and onions?
Now that you’ve mastered browing, try a basic mince and onions to have with rice, potatoes or veggies. If you’re a beginner, this is a delicious base to so many traditional minced beef dishes like cottage pie or chilli.
- 500g minced beef
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 300ml beef stock
- 3 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Add the chopped onions to a pot at low heat with your olive oil. Allow the onions to soften and stir now and again.
- Add the beef and fry until browned.
- Add the plain flour and stir rigourously while cooking for around 2 minutes.
- Pour in your beef stock, Worcestershire Sauce and salt and pepper and bring to the boil stirring. Once the sauce has thickened slightly turn the heat down low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Simmer for ten minutes on a low heat.
- Serve with rice, potatoes or veggies.
How do cook minced beef in Mexican tacos?
Minced beef works really well in tacos, so we’d highly recommend switching up your normal shepherd’s pie night for a taco night. Spice up your dinnertime with this incredibly easy and quick Mexican taco recipe with minced beef and lots of other deliciously, fresh ingredients.
Our 3 Favourite Minced Beef Recipes
4 Vegetable Mashes
You know what’s an absolute classic? Minced beef and mash – give our celeriac mash and 4 other vegetable mashes a try next time you make a shepherd’s pie.