The Most Delicious Gluten-Free Pancakes March 4, 2019
If there’s one pancake you make this week, make sure it’s this one…
Breakfast, lunch, dinner. If we could we’d be eating pancakes 24/7.
When it comes to mastering a good pancake recipe, I’ve been lucky enough to learn from the best. My mum has her very own crepe van, “Mel’s Magical Crepes”, which she drives around the country, feeding hungry crowds with favourites like cheese and marmite filled pancakes. Having seen how quickly her savoury pancakes flew out of the pan, I decided to create my own gluten-free version of one of her best-sellers.
Light and slightly crispy, topped with cheesy mushrooms and tomatoes, sweet caramelised onions and fresh peppery rocket, these chickpea flour pancakes are a winning recipe for something a little bit different.
Ingredients (Serves 2) | Prep and Cooking Time: Approx 40 mins
For the Gluten-Free Pancakes 100g Gram Flour 350ml Water Salt and Pepper For the Goat’s Cheese Topping 1 red onion, sliced 1 punnet chestnut mushrooms, sliced 1 punnet plum tomatoes, halved 1 roll of goat’s cheese 1 bag of rocket 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
For the Gluten-Free Pancakes
100g Gram Flour
Salt and Pepper
For the Goat’s Cheese Topping
1 red onion, sliced
1 punnet chestnut mushrooms, sliced
1 punnet plum tomatoes, halved
1 roll of goat’s cheese
1 bag of rocket
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1. Before you do anything else, preheat your oven to 200 degrees – we want the oven to be nice and hot so your veggies roast as quickly as possible! Cut the chestnut mushrooms into four slices and the plum tomatoes into halves. Transfer them to a large lined baking tray, drizzle them with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Give the tray a good shake and leave on the side for now. Now cut your red onion through the root, peel and slice into thin half-moon shapes.
2. Gram flour is made from a variety of ground chickpea (hence the ‘chic pea’!) which makes the pancakes super light – no fear of the dinnertime bloat! Place the gram flour in a large mixing bowl and season with salt and pepper. Gradually whisk in the water and beat with a fork until the batter is nice and smooth (the consistency should be a tiny bit thicker than double cream). Pour your batter into a measuring jug and leave to stand for a few minutes. Pop your mushrooms and tomatoes onto the top shelf of the hot oven for 15 mins.
4. Now we’re going to caramelize the red onions. The key here is not to get too excited with the heat – you want a good glug of olive oil on a low heat. Cook your onions for 7 mins. When they are nice and soft, add the balsamic vinegar, cover the saucepan with a lid, reduce the heat, and leave to cook for 8-10 mins until golden. Remove from the heat and set to the side. Cut the goat’s cheese into 1cm discs and set to the side – your topping is almost done!
5. Let’s flip! The secret to a perfect pancake is a really hot pan. Drizzle some olive oil into a medium size non-stick frying pan and put on a high heat. Use kitchen paper to rub excess oil away (you want the pan to be greased, not greasy!) Is your pan hot enough? Drop a crumb into the pan – if it sizzles, it’s ready! If you’ve got a medium-sized pan, quickly pour in 75ml of batter (you will be making two pancakes per person, but we’ve given you a bit of extra batter to practise with!), tilting your pan to make sure it covers the base of the frying pan. If you have a small frying pan, just use 50ml of batter per pancake.
7. Leave to cook for 2-3 mins, until you can see small bubbles appearing and your pancake comes away easily from the pan. Carefully flip and cook the other side for 1-2 mins until golden.
8. Once your veggies are nicely roasted, remove from the oven, drain off any excess water, and add to a bowl with your goat’s cheese. Stir together slowly to melt the cheese.
9. Take everything to the table and get people to serve themselves! Start by adding a spoonful of cheesy veggies to a pancake, followed by a little caramelised red onion, finished off with a handful of rocket. Enjoy!
Share your pancakes with us on Instagram, and tag us in your #HelloFreshSnaps for the chance to win £15 off your next box!