The Best Eggnog Recipe In The WorldDecember 26, 2017
This homemade, much loved American drink, is guaranteed to warm you from the inside out this festive season. Comfort in a cup.
Creamy, sweet, and full of festive cheer, our take on this delectable drink starts with infusing milk and cream with cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla beans. When it starts like that, it can only get better…
When the mix is cooling, add an extra decadent twist and stir in 175ml of bourbon. After a cool-down in the refrigerator and a chance for all of these delicious flavours to combine, top with fluffy egg whites and freshly grated nutmeg before serving.
Our Favourite Eggnog Recipe
Ingredients (serves 8)
- 700ml milk
- 240ml double cream
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 vanilla bean pod, split and seeds removed
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 5 eggs, separated
- 130g cup granulated sugar
- Fill a saucepan with water for a bain-marie and bring to the boil.
- In a bowl that is a suitable fit for the bain-marie (one that will sit comfortably over the pan: see photo), slowly combine milk, cream, cinnamon, vanilla bean, vanilla seeds, and nutmeg and mix until the mixture is combined and smooth. In a separate bowl mix the egg yolks and sugar until combined and thick ribbons form when the whisk is lifted. Gradually add this to the milk mixture.
- Slowly bring to the boil and then remove from the heat and allow to steep.
- Use a funnel to fill your glass bottles (or another container) and seal tightly. Refrigerate overnight or for up to 3 days.
- Before serving beat the egg whites in a large bowl or stand mixer until soft peaks form. Gently fold into eggnog until combined. Serve and garnish with freshly grated nutmeg.