Chef Brain: Episode 2 Christmas RecipesDecember 15, 2017
The holiday cheer didn’t stop our two chefs from getting very VERY competitive…
The second episode of our brand new show, Chef Brain, landed yesterday and it had a distinctly festive feel to it.
This week, two of our chefs, Patrick and Mimi, went head to head in the HelloFresh development kitchen to turn five festive ingredients into a showstopping 30-minute dish. If you thought Patrick was competitive in last week’s episode, just wait until you see Mimi in action…
To throw our chefs into a frenzy, we threw in a mystery ingredient that you would not expect to see on the Christmas table. But, after watching this video, you might just be inspired to include it – especially when you hear what our judging panel had to say about it!
For festive tips and tricks to save you time on the big day, make sure you sign up to receive our FREE Christmas cheatsheet. Trust us, it will save your bacon.
Patrick’s Christmas Carbonara
- Pigs in Blankets
- Double Cream
- Brussels Sprouts
- Tagliatelle pasta
- Vegetable Stock Pot
- First off boil a large pot of water with half the veg stock pot and 1 tsp of salt and prep all the ingredients. Slice the brussels sprouts micro thin, Strip the leaves from the thyme stalks and finely chop up the pigs in blankets. Peel ginger with a spoon and chop a token amount!
- Place the pasta in the rapidly boiling water.
- Sweat the brussels sprouts in 1 tbsp of butter with the thyme (and add token ginger to comply with the rules). Meanwhile, fry the pigs in blankets off in some olive oil then put this into the sprout mixture with the remaining half veg stock pot.
- Add a couple of tbsp of the pasta water to the pan. Turn the heat to low and pour in a few tbsps of double cream.
- Toss in the tagliatelle and you’re done.
Mimi’s Buttermilk Turkey with Apple and Red Onion Chutney
- 2 Turkey Breasts
- Red onion
- Curry powder
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Chop up the turkey breasts into smallish chunks and soak in buttermilk.
- Chop up the rosemary, red onion, apple and ginger.
- Get chutney cooking. Add some oil to a pan and begin slow cooking your red onion, apple and ginger and a couple of tsp of curry powder and a pinch of sugar. Once soft, add a little bit of balsamic vinegar to get everything lovely and caramelised!
- Mix flour, salt and pepper, and chopped rosemary in a bowl. Coat turkey in flour mixture (give it a good shake!)
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan and, when hot, add the turkey. Cook until the turkey is golden.
- Put on kitchen roll to get rid of excess oil
- Serve with chutney
Our Traditional Christmas Box is now available to pre-order for delivery on Friday 21st December.
[button content=”Order Your Christmas Box” color=”green” text=”black” url=”https://www.hellofresh.co.uk/lp/seasonal/” openin=”_self”]