British Sandwich Week 2015!May 10, 2015
British Sandwich Week 2015! 10th – 16th May
Time to celebrate one of Britain’s best loved foods invented by the Earl of Sandwich – the Sandwich!
Legend goes that the Earl of Sandwich was a raving gambler…too busy frittering his money away to stop for a meal, so we he asked his servant for meat to be put between two slices of bread… thus the sandwich was born!
Try out our Big Belazu Coriander & Cumin Chicken Burger (or Sarnie if you will) recipe on this week’s Classic Menu!
This week, we’ve turned badly made fast food style dishes into something healthy, delicious with our juicy chicken sarnie topped off with a beautiful Coriander and Cumin Paste from our friends at Belazu.
- 1 Baby Gem Lettuce, chopped
- 2 Vine Tomatoes
- 2 Garlic Cloves, diced
- 2 Chicken Breasts
- 1/2 a Lemon
- 2 Ciabattas
- 2 tbsp Belazu Coriander and Cumin Paste
1) Pre-heat your grill to high. Coarsely chop all but 2 leaves of the baby gem lettuce and cut one of the tomatoes in 6 (fine) slices. Cut the other tomato in cubes. Tip: The easiest way to cube them is to cut the tomato in half, then each half in fours slices and those slices straight down the middle. Peel and finely dice one and a half cloves of garlic (we’ll use the leftover half later).
2) Place your hand flat on each chicken breast and slice through its side, to open it up like a book. You’ve just ‘butterflied’ your chicken!
3) Coat each chicken breast in 1⁄2 tsp of olive oil and the diced garlic. Sprinkle on a bit of lemon zest and a squeeze of lemon juice. Season them well with salt and pepper before grilling them for about 6 mins on each side.
4) To make the dressing simply mix 1 tsp of lemon juice, 2 tsp of olive oil and add a pinch of salt and pepper. Mix the dressing in with the chopped lettuce and cubed tomatoes (keep the slices to the side for your sandwich!).
5) Once the chicken is cooked cut the ciabatta in half. Drizzle a little oil onto each slice and grill both sides until lightly toasted. Rub the little chunk of garlic you have left across the surface of the bread. Place your ciabatta halves back under the grill for 2 mins until they get a nice crunch.
6) Top one half of the ciabatta with a healthy spoonful of your Belazu Paste. Place your grilled chicken on top and your salad leaf and sliced tomatoes on the other half. Put the two halves together and set up a deck-chair in any available piece of outdoor space you can find.
7) Serve your sandwich with the salad on the side, gobble and go play a few games of frisbee.
Voila! – Sensational Sarnie to satisfy your British Sandwich Week hunger 🙂