The Best Pancakes you’ve Never Heard of (but Will Want to Try) February 20, 2017
In the UK, there is one day a year when we take pancakes very seriously. This year, Pancake Day falls on 28th February.
Everyone has their favourite topping… some people can’t bear the thought of anything other than lemon and sugar on theirs, while others see every year as a challenge to make their pancake even more Instagram worthy, with flavour combinations that raise an eyebrow or two. We couldn’t help but join in the fun this year. As you know, normally pancakes are made with wheat flour, but we’re saying out with the old and in with the new: introducing chickpea flour, more commonly known as gram flour.
Are your eyebrows suitably raised? Are your ears pricked?
Here’s why we think you’ll love our chickpea pancakes.
- They’re a delicious way to have savoury pancakes for dinner
- Chickpea flour (gram flour) is full of protein
- If you’re gluten free, these are for you
- It’s a new exciting flavour
- They’re in our boxes in time for Pancake Day!
- Put the gram flour in a bowl and add the ground coriander and a pinch of salt.
- Whisk in the water and then leave to one side for 5 minutes.
- For the perfect pancake you need a hot pan. Add a splash of oil to a medium-
- sized frying pan (approx 20cm wide) over high heat. Pour exactly 75ml of batter into a measuring jug (this will be enough for one pancake.)
- Once the oil is hot, use kitchen paper to rub the excess oil away (your pan is still hot so be careful). Pour in your batter then quickly tilt your pan to ensure your batter covers the base of the frying pan.
- Cook for 1-2 mins, then flip and cook for a further minute. Both sides should be slightly golden brown and fluffy.
- Serve onto a plate and add toppings.