4 Deliciously Quick BBQ Sauce Recipes April 5, 2018
It’s safe to say that at the first sight of the sun, we slightly lose the plot. We strip off the layers, forget all about the suncream and dust off our barbeques as the rain pours down around us (“it’s just a passing shower”). Whilst it takes serious talent to balance an umbrella whilst flipping burgers, it couldn’t be easier to knock together one of our deliciously quick BBQ sauce recipes, giving your food some serious zest.
So when you’re planning your next al fresco dinner, resist the temptation to simply throw a couple of bangers on the barbie. Quick, easy to make, and bursting with delicious flavour, these sauces will transform even the simplest cuts of meat. Vegetables such as asparagus, courgette, aubergine and cauliflower are also brilliant additions to the BBQ scene and would all go well with our yoghurt lime marinade. For some serious veg-spiration, check out our Veggie Steaks Series Videos on Facebook. These would be a great accompaniment to your standard BBQ!
The Magic of a Good Marinade
Marinating your meat or fish before barbecuing not only enhances its flavour, but it also does great things for your health. Marinating your food can reduce the formation of cancer-causing compounds which are produced when food is cooked at very high temperatures (such as barbecuing) by up to 99%. As if our love for the lime couldn’t get any bigger, citrus juices are particularly effective at preventing the formation of these compounds and slow the growth of harmful bacteria, tenderising the meat which prevents it from becoming tough when cooking.
A top tip from our chefs is to marinade whatever it is you’re cooking for a couple of hours before cooking (for maximum flavour, marinade overnight in the fridge). When it comes to barbecuing, it definitely pays to be a little bit saucy!
- 550ml pint natural organic yogurt
- 2 good handfuls of fresh mint, chopped
- 2 limes, zested and juiced
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds, crushed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- A couple of lugs (2 tablespoons) olive oil
- Mix together the ingredients and smear over your chosen meat before leaving it to marinate
Limey Chimichurri Marinade – Goes well with Beef and grilled fish
30g parsley leaves (a large handful)
2tsp hot chilli flakes or to taste
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tbsp lime juice
Olive oil, to loosen
4 cloves garlic
A sprig of fresh oregano, leaves removed (optional)
- Either chop the garlic, parsley, oregano and shallot very fine or whizz in a food processor.
- Mix in the chilli flakes, vinegar, lime juice and loosen with olive oil to reach your desired consistency. Season with salt.
Zesty Cuban Style Marinade – Goes well with pork
170ml extra-virgin olive oil
1 tbsp orange zest
170ml fresh orange juice
120ml fresh lime juice
Handful of coriander, finely chopped
60g fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
8 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 tbsp fresh oregano (or 2 tsp dried oregano)
2 tsp ground cumin
salt and pepper
- Either combine olive oil, orange zest, orange juice, lime juice, chopped coriander, chopped mint, minced garlic, oregano, and cumin or whizz in a food processor
Classic BBQ Sauce with a limey twist – Goes well with ribs and chicken
1 bay leaf
3 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
dash of Tabasco
the juice of 1 lime
- In a pan, mix 350g ketchup, 1 bay leaf, 3 tbsp Worcestershire sauce, 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard, 1/2 tsp smoked paprika, dash of Tabasco, the juice of 1 lime.
- Heat until bubbling and simmer for 2 minutes. Season.