Chef Brain: Episode 6 Aphrodisiac vs. Aphrodisiac February 1, 2018
Roses are red, violets are blue, this week on Chef Brain, we’re cooking for YOU…
Whilst most of us here at HelloFresh are keen advocates for the age-old adage “the way to someone’s heart is through their stomach”, it was interesting to find out that we weren’t the only ones in a recent survey we carried out. With Valentines Day fast approaching, this week’s episode of Chef Brain saw Patrick and Nicola turn up the heat when they turned five mystery aphrodisiac ingredients into a show-stopping dish.
In just thirty minutes – the same amount of time it takes to create a standard HelloFresh recipe – Patrick and Nicola were asked to create a romantic recipe with five ingredients that are rarely seen together: pumpkin seeds, dark chocolate, chilli, figs and salmon. Although these ingredients are well-known for their ability to set hearts racing, the judges weren’t totally convinced by the chef’s ‘creative’ licence.
Watch this episode to find out who had Cupid on their side…
Patrick’s Seductive Salmon Spaghetti & Red Hot Chocolate Fig Brittle
- Pumpkin seeds
- Dark chocolate
- Salmon Fillets
- Double cream
- Tinned Tomatoes
- Pre-heat the oven to 220 degrees.
- Rub the salmon with olive oil and salt and pepper. Cook salmon on the top shelf for 10 mins.
- Meanwhile, melt the chocolate over a bain-marie.
- Toast off the pumpkin seeds and add half to the chocolate. Chop up the fig and add half to the chocolate.
- Pour the chocolate onto greased baking paper. Top with pumpkin seeds, very finely diced chilli, fig and sea salt. Put in the Freezer to go hard.
- Next, fry a bit of chilli in olive oil and add the tinned tomatoes. Bubble down until thick then add salt and pepper and double cream. Cook spaghetti in a boiling pan of water (8-10 mins) until al dente).
- Remove salmon from the oven and flake it up with a fork. Add salmon flakes into the tomato sauce along with the spaghetti and toss together.
- Serve with more salmon flakes on top and the chocolate, with a hammer, on the side.
TIP #1: Spaghetti can be an aphrodisiac.
TIP #2: Figs are fertilised by wasps.
TIP #3: Montezuma drank 50 cups of chocolate a day.
TIP #4A: The way to Patrick’s heart is through his stomach.
TIP #4B: But not Nicola’s.
TIP #5: Salt brings up the boiling point of water.
TIP #6: Count on 100g of pasta per person.
TIP #7: Don’t eat this dish if you’re on a date
TIP #8: Hammers aren’t great for couples.
Staying in or going out? Shucking oysters or spicing things up with a curry? Our survey reveals what’ll get the UK feeling romantic this Valentine’s Day…