4 Easy Pesto RecipesJanuary 19, 2017
Pesto may be Italian, but it’s a British favourite. The blend of herbs, nuts and cheese might have something to do with it. But as you know, we’re all about homemade goodness and adding a bit of creativity to classic dishes, which is why our chef Victoria created these pesto recipes for you to try at home – they’ve all got a little twist to them.
If you’re a HelloFresh customer, you might even see our Brazil nut pesto and our creme fraiche pesto in your boxes soon. If not, why not try adding a spoonful of one of these to these risotto recipes.
Creamy Crème Fraîche Pesto
20g parmesan cheese | 1 bunch basil, chopped |
25g pine nuts | 50ml crème fraîche
1. Chop up two-thirds of the basil and the pine nuts as finely as possible.
Tip: Everything should be smaller than a grain of rice.
2. Add your basil and pine nuts with the crème fraiche in a blender and combine, but not for too long – it shouldn’t be a paste!
3. Stir in your grated parmesan.
4. Season with a pinch of salt.
Roasted Red Pepper Pesto
100g roasted red peppers, from jar in olive oil | 30g cashew nuts, roughly
chopped | 1 lemon | olive oil | a pinch of dried red chilli | parmesan
1. Add red peppers and a good dash of olive oil along with salt into food processor and blend (NOT until smooth, shouldn’t be too smooth).
2. Chop cashew nuts roughly and add them in and blend – the mixture should not be a paste but a nice chunky pesto. Add more olive oil
if too chunky.
3. Squeeze in lemon and sprinkle in red chilli flakes
4. Grate in some parmesan and stir by hand.
Baked Brazil Nut Pesto
25g Brazil nuts | 40g basil, chopped |
40g rocket, chopped | 50g hard Italian cheese
1. Roughly chop the Brazil nuts and finely chop the basil (stalks and leaves!).
2. Finely chop a quarter of the rocket.
3. Pop your Brazil nuts, basil, rocket and hard Italian cheese into a
blender with the olive oil (and blend until it begins to combine but not
until it’s a paste).
4. Grind in some black pepper and mix it together.
Mexican Coriander Pesto
2 fresh green chillies, sliced (medium hot) | 40g fresh coriander |
40g roughly chopped walnuts, handful | 1 heaped tsp honey |
olive oil | parmesan
1. Add chillies, coriander and olive oil into blender until it starts to get a bit smooth but NOT a paste.
2. Add the walnuts and salt – and blend with some more olive oil.
3. Add honey and blend a bit more.
4. Grate in the parmesan and stir in by hand.